US President Donald Trump on Saturday claimed that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife have been captured by US forces following what he described as “large-scale airstrikes” on Caracas. Trump’s assertion came hours after several explosions rocked the Venezuelan capital, plunging the country into uncertainty.
In a post on his Truth Social, President Trump said the United States had “successfully carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and its leader”, adding that Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were taken into custody and flown out of the country in an operation conducted alongside US law enforcement agencies.
Delta Force had previously carried out the 2019 raid that killed former Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
There was no independent confirmation of Maduro’s capture, and Venezuelan officials did not acknowledge Trump’s claim.
Meanwhile, Venezuelan Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino LĂłpez announced the deployment of military forces across the country in a video posted to social media shortly after the US strikes, CBS News reported.
Calling the US action “the worst aggression” Venezuela has ever faced, Padrino López urged unity and resistance, saying all armed forces would be mobilised following “Maduro’s orders.” He did not mention reports that the president had been captured.
“They’ve attacked us but they will not subdue us,” he said.
The defence minister also appealed for calm, warning against unrest and disorder.
“Let’s not succumb to the panic the enemy seeks to instill,” he said, urging Venezuelans to avoid anarchy.